Before you begin
- Test the WiFi signal strength by taking a smartphone/tablet to the site where you plan to install your camera; if there's a weak signal at the installation site then the camera may struggle to maintain a connection (see section 6 Hints & Tips at the bottom of the guide for help with WiFi signal strength)
- Before you mount the camera in the bird box, make sure it's connected to your WiFi router and can be viewed on the app. It's best to set the camera up when it's plugged in near the router, then once it's connected you can unplug it and install it in the final location
- Ensure the device being used to set up the camera is connected to the same WiFi network that you want the camera to be connected to (this is only required for the setup process)
- Make sure you know the name and password of the WiFi network that the camera will be connected to
- Make sure that you are connecting the camera to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi signal; if you don't know what this is you can read more here
- Insert a micro SD card if you have one; hold the camera with the lens facing up, then insert the micro SD card with the metal contacts facing up. Push it in fully until you feel it click into place
- Plug in the power supply into the trailing cable of the camera; after the camera has powered on you will hear a three note chime, and the camera will start saying "Wait for Wi-Fi config"
- Remove the lens cap on the camera, if it has one, and remove the cap on the reset button
- Download the app
- Watch George run through the setup
- Screen capture video of the setup
- Let’s get started
- 1. Registering an account
- 2. Connecting the camera to your WiFi router
- 3. Changing the setup mode and connecting the camera
- 4. Entering the WiFi details
- 5. Adding and renaming the camera
- 6. To do next
- 7. Hints & Tips
- 8. Resetting the camera
- 9. Troubleshooting
- 10. Need more help?
Download the app
Watch George run through the setup
Screen capture video of the setup
Let’s get started
To get started, open the app:
1. Registering an account
- If you have already signed up then skip below to the section called 'Connecting the camera to your Wi-Fi router'.
- If you would like to use your Google or Facebook account to sign up you can do so by tapping the relevant icon at the bottom of the page.
- A verification code will be emailed to you.
- Enter this code into the app.
- Set a password for your account - make sure it is something memorable.
- Once your account is all set up, just log in to the app!
2. Connecting the camera to your WiFi router
On the Home page, click the green '+' icon at the top right of the screen.
Tap on the Green Feathers Camera icon.
3. Changing the setup mode and connecting the camera
Now you need to set the app to EZ mode by tapping the icon at the top right:
If your camera is not saying 'Wait for Wi-Fi config' then you need to reset it at this stage. Follow the instructions in the app or scroll to the bottom of the guide where it says 'Resetting the camera' for instructions. Once the camera starts saying 'Wait for Wi-Fi config' tap go to the third step, tick 'Next step' then tap 'Next':
4. Entering the WiFi details
Now you need to enter the details of the WiFi network which you want the camera to be connected to. The name of the WiFi network which your phone or tablet is connected to should be automatically filled in, so just enter the password. To change the WiFi network your device is connected to, tap the icon to the right of the WiFi name:
Now select Next, and you will see the screen below. After a minute or so, you will hear the camera say 'Connect internet'; at this point the app will have found the camera and added it to the app, you can set a name for the camera by tapping on it. If you're having issues connecting at this stage, go to the section below called 'Troubleshooting'.
5. Adding and renaming the camera
When the 'Added successfully' window appears, you can rename the camera by tapping the pencil icon to the right of the camera name.
To view the camera go back to the 'Home' page using the icon at the bottom left then select your camera from the list.
6. To do next
When you are installing the camera in your bird box, it is a good idea to keep an eye on the signal strength. If it is below 50% you may have connection issues (the signal strength is displayed on the live view screen):
To view the settings for the camera, select the pencil and paper icon at the top right of the camera live feed. To see the meanings of the settings, have a look at this guide.
To read about the motion detection settings specifically, have a look at this guide.
If you want to get the device easily added to other phones, tablets or computers, you won't need to go through this process again, just follow this guide to get it done in a few minutes!
7. Hints & Tips
- Keep the antenna pointing upwards as this improves the WiFi range
- To improve the range of your WiFi signal, purchase a WiFi extender
8. Resetting the camera
1. Power on the device and wait for it to play three notes to indicate it has started up
2. Press and hold the reset button for 5 seconds; you will hear it say 'Reset, camera reboot'.
3. When the camera starts saying 'Wait for Wi-Fi config', tick 'Next step', then 'Next' to begin connecting your camera to the Wi-Fi.
If the camera does not connect to your WiFi:
- Try resetting it and start again.
- You can also try the QR code setup method, or the AP mode setup method.
- If this still fails, try setting the camera up in a different room, within range of your WiFi router still. Most modern WiFi routers use a combination of different WiFi frequencies (2.4GHz and 5GHz), but these cameras can only connect to 2.4GHz. Moving to another room can reduce interference from the 5GHz signal. To see other solutions to this issue you can read more here.
- You can also email us here to speak to a member of our Helpdesk team.
If you have connected it to your internet router, but it shows the message 'Establishing encrypted channel' and doesn't load:
- Try closing the app and re-opening it.
- If that doesn't work, please check what version of app you are using (go to the 'Me' section of the app, then select Settings > About). If the 'Current Version' is 1.0.0 then you will need to uninstall the app and re-install it, then log back in. You will not need to set the camera back up if you do this, it will remain connected to your Wi-Fi router.
Remember, this guide only applies to the 3rd Gen NCIP3WF which was released in December 2020, if you have an older model of the camera have a look at our guide for the NCIP9WF or for the NCIP2WF. If you are unsure which camera you have, have a look at this article.