This guide only applies to the NCIP3WF which was released in December 2020, if you have a different model of the camera have a look at our guide for the NCIP9WF (1st Gen) or for the NCIP2WF (2nd Gen). If you are unsure which camera you have, have a look at this article.
- Before you begin
- Let’s get started
- Registering an account
- Connecting the camera to your Wi-Fi router
- Entering the Wi-Fi details
- Resetting the camera (if necessary)
- What if it fails to connect?
- Adding and renaming the camera
- To do next
- Hints & Tips
- Next Steps
Before you begin
- Test the Wi-Fi signal strength by taking a smartphone or tablet to the site where the camera will be installed; if your phone/tablet has weak signal at the installation site then the camera may struggle to maintain a connection
- Before you mount the camera in the bird box, make sure it is connected to your Wi-Fi router and can be viewed on the app. It is best to set the camera up when it is plugged in close to the router, then once it is connected you can unplug it and install it in the final location
- Ensure the device being used to set up the camera is connected to the same Wi-Fi network that you want the camera to be connected to (this is only required for the setup process)
- Make sure you know the name and password of the Wi-Fi network which the camera will be connected to
- Make sure that you are connecting the camera to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi signal; if you don't know what this is you can read more here
- Insert an SD card if you have one; hold the camera with the lens facing up, then insert the SD card with the metal contacts facing up. You will feel a push back when inserting the SD card, push it in fully until you feel it click into place
- Plug in the power supply into the trailing cable of the camera; after the camera has powered on you will hear a three note chime, and the camera will start saying "Wait for Wi-Fi config"
- Remove the lens cap on the camera
Let’s get started
To get started, open the app:
Registering an account
- A verification code will be emailed to you.
- Enter this code into the app.
- Set a password for your account - make sure it is something memorable.
Once your account is all set up, just log in to the app!
Connecting the camera to your Wi-Fi router
On the Home page, click the green '+' icon at the top right of the screen.
If you are using the Green Feathers app you will see this icon; tap on it and skip to the section of this guide that says 'Entering the Wi-Fi details'.
If you are using the TuyaSmart app then you will see the below menus; on the menu on the left hand side, select 'Security & Sensors', then 'Smart Camera'.
Tap where it says 'QR Code' at the top right corner, then select 'EZ Mode'.
Select the button where it says 'Next step', then select 'Next'.
Entering the Wi-Fi details
Now you need to enter the details of the Wi-Fi network which you want the camera to be connected to.
The name of the Wi-Fi network which your phone or tablet is connected to should be automatically filled in, you just need to enter the password.
To change the Wi-Fi network your device is connected to, tap the icon to the right (also highlighted in red below) so you can select another network from your device settings.
Resetting the camera (if necessary)
If your camera is not saying 'Wait for Wi-Fi config" then don't click next yet - we need to reset the camera first before telling the app to search for it.
To reset the camera follow the below steps -
- Press and hold the white button on the lead which splits off from the camera power cable.
- After 10 seconds, or so, of holding it down you should hear the camera click, play a three-note chime, then say 'Reset'
- Take your finger off the white button.
- Wait for twenty seconds, or so, the camera should now play the three-note chime again.
- The camera should then say 'Wait for Wi-Fi config', repeat this message, and keep clicking until the camera is connected to the Wi-Fi.
When your camera starts saying "Wait for Wi-Fi config", then you can just click 'Next' on the app, and you will see it begin to search for the camera.
After a minute or so, you will hear the camera say 'Connect internet'; at this point the app will have found the camera and added it to the app, you can set a name for the camera by tapping on it.
What if it fails to connect?
If the camera fails to connect to your Wi-Fi network, try resetting it and start again. You can also try the alternative setup method which can be more reliable. If this still fails, it may be related to the 2.4GHz/5GHz Wi-Fi issue, about which you can read more here. You can also create a support ticket here to speak to a member of our Helpdesk team.
Remember, this guide only applies to the NCIP3WF which was released in December 2020, if you have an older model of the camera have a look at our guide for the NCIP9WF or for the NCIP2WF. If you are unsure which camera you have, have a look at this article.
Adding and renaming the camera
Once it is added, to view the camera go back to the 'Home' page using the icon at the bottom left then select your camera from the list.
To do next
To view the settings for the camera, select the pencil and paper icon at the top right of the camera live feed. To see the meanings of the settings, have a look at this guide.
If you want to get the device easily added to other phones, tablets or computers, you won't need to go through this process again, just follow this guide to get it done in a few minutes!
Hints & Tips
- Keep the antenna pointing upwards as this improves the Wi-Fi range
- To improve the range of your Wi-Fi signal, purchase a Wi-Fi extender
We hope you have found this guide useful. If it has not answered your question you can see related articles on the right or raise a ticket.