This guide shows you how to set up your WiFi Bird Box Camera 3rd Gen.
- Before you begin
- Let’s get started
- 1. Registering an account
- 2. Adding the camera to the app
- 3. Setting to QR mode and resetting the camera
- 4. Entering the WiFi details
- 5. Scanning the QR code
- 6. Troubleshooting
- 7. Adding and renaming the camera
- 8. To do next
- 9. Hints & Tips
- 10. Need more help?
Before you begin
- Test the WiFi signal strength by taking your smartphone/tablet to the site where you plan to install your camera; if it has weak signal at the installation site then the camera may struggle to maintain a connection (see section 9 Hints & Tips at the bottom of the guide for help with WiFi signal strength)
- Insert a micro SD card if you have one; hold the camera with the lens facing up, then insert the micro SD card with the metal contacts facing up. Push it in fully until you feel it click into place. If you have trouble inserting the SD card to the point where it clicks into place, hold it down with your thumb then use a thin object like a pen to push it down fully
- Before you mount the camera in the bird box, make sure it's connected to your WiFi router and can be viewed on the app. It's best to set the camera up when it's plugged in near the router, then once it's connected you can unplug it and install it in the final location
- Ensure the device being used to set up the camera is connected to the same WiFi network that you want the camera to be connected to (this is only required for the setup process)
- Make sure you know the name and password of the WiFi network which the camera will be connected to
- Make sure that you are connecting the camera to a 2.4GHz WiFi signal; if you don't know what this is you can read more here
- Plug in the power supply into the trailing cable of the camera; after the camera has powered on you will hear a three note chime, and the camera will start saying "Wait for WiFi config"
- Remove the lens cap on the camera, if it has one, and remove the cap on the reset button
Let’s get started
To get started, open the app:
1. Registering an account
- Enter this code into the app.
- Set a password for your account - make sure it is something memorable.
Once your account is all set up, just log in to the app!
2. Adding the camera to the app
The first time you go on the Home page, you can choose to allow the app to use your device location. This is not essential, but helps with some features. Next, click the green '+' icon at the top right of the screen.
Now select the model of camera you are setting up, then select "QR mode":
3. Setting to QR mode and resetting the camera
Follow the instructions on the app or below to reset the camera. If your camera is already saying "Wait for WiFi config", you can skip to step 4 "Entering the Wi-Fi details".
- Connect your camera to the power source. Wait for 3 notes to play. If your camera says "Wait for WiFi config" skip to step 4. If not, go to step 2.
- Press and hold the reset button until your camera says "Reset, camera reboot".
- Wait for your camera to say "Wait for WiFi config" (this can take up to 20 seconds).
- Place cap on reset button so it's waterproof. Tick 'Next step' when done.
Now tick 'Next step' and select 'Next'.
4. Entering the WiFi details
Now you need to enter the details of the WiFi network that you want the camera to connect to. The name of the WiFi network which your phone or tablet is connected to should be automatically filled in, so just enter the password. To change the WiFi network your device is connected to, tap the icon to the right of the WiFi name:
5. Scanning the QR code
When you select 'Next', the app will display a QR code to you. Point the camera 15-20cm away from the QR code, directly facing the screen, and the camera should register it and say 'Connect router'. When it says this, tap the 'I Heard a Prompt' button.
If you think the camera lens may be unfocused, use this picture as a reference to adjust it. Additionally, try slowly increasing or decreasing the distance between the camera and phone screen to bring the QR code into focus.
After you have tapped the 'I Heard a Prompt' button, the app should automatically begin connecting to the camera.
After a minute or so, it should have found the camera and added it to the app, you can set a name for the camera now, or later on in the settings menu.
If the camera does not connect to your WiFi:
- Try resetting it and start again.
- You can also try the AP mode setup method instead.
- If this still fails, try setting the camera up in a different room, within range of your WiFi router still. Most modern WiFi routers use a combination of different WiFi frequencies (2.4GHz and 5GHz), but these cameras can only connect to 2.4GHz. Moving to another room can reduce interference from the 5GHz signal. To see other solutions to this issue you can read more here.
- You can also email us here to speak to a member of our Helpdesk team.
If you have connected it to your internet router, but it shows the message 'Establishing encrypted channel' and doesn't load:
- Try closing the app and re-opening it.
- If that doesn't work, please check what version of app you are using (go to the 'Me' section of the app, then select Settings > About). If the 'Current Version' is 1.0.0 then you will need to uninstall the app and re-install it, then log back in. You will not need to set the camera back up if you do this, it will remain connected to your Wi-Fi router.
Remember, this guide only applies to the 3rd Gen NCIP3WF which was released in December 2020, if you have an older model of the camera have a look at our guide for the NCIP9WF or for the NCIP2WF. If you are unsure which camera you have, have a look at this article.
7. Adding and renaming the camera
Now you can rename the camera by tapping the pencil icon to the right of the camera name. Once it is added, to view the camera go back to the 'Home' page using the icon at the bottom left then select your camera from the list.
To view the camera go back to the 'Home' page using the icon at the bottom left then select your camera from the list.
8. To do next
To view the settings for the camera, select the pencil and paper icon at the top right of the camera live feed. To find out more about the settings, have a look at this guide.
To read about the motion detection settings, have a look at this guide.
If you want to get the device added to other phones, tablets or computers, you won't need to go through this process again, just follow this guide to get it done in a few minutes.
9. Hints & Tips
- Keep the camera antenna pointing upwards as this improves the WiFi range
- Try moving the camera into a different room to your router, this can help the camera connect to the 2.4ghz network instead of the 5ghz.
- To improve the range of your WiFi signal, purchase a WiFi extender
- If your camera goes offline, check out this guide for some tips.